Thursday, March 25, 2010

Journal #5, Josh

The morning awkwardly silent, Faham and Yanko would not talk to each other since yesterday’s incident. We spent half the day on the island until we spotted a helicopter, luckily the helicopter had spotted our signal fire and headed towards it. That was when we started running wildly towards the fire, we were so happy to be rescued we didn’t even bother to grab our stuff from our campsite. Finally we reached the copter were a man came to great us and ask us questions such as “are you alright?”. I was really glad to be rescued I don’t even know how to describe this feeling I am feeling, I suppose this feeling is a mix of happiness and liberty. Well there were some pros and cons about being stranded on an island. My favourite part was probably fishing and building shelters since it’s my hobby, what I basically did not like about being stranded on the island was dealing with anger and fighting. This is referring to especially yesterday when Yanko and Faham went crazy on each other like they never had before. Another thing I did not like was having low food supply as well as dealing with the waste treatment. This book really reminds me of a book called Lord of the Flies, it was a book I had read in grade 10 and it was very similar to the situation I was in (stranded on an island with a group of people). The story was about a group of boys who were heading to Australia for refuge and their plane was shot down that left them stranded on an island. In the end they discovered this evil within them and how they had used it to harm others as well and it also shows how barbaric human nature can be. I suppose this is similar to us because we were also barbaric because we fought over food, shelter and all sorts of things that no human would usually fight over. I think that in the book Lord of the Flies, the little ones had it better because they do not know the situation they were in and often slacked off to go and play, this is really similar to me as well. If I was stranded on an island with these boys, I would have tried to not lead any arguments and not hurt people’s feelings as well. This usually causes tensions and most of the time it leads to separation among others, I would also try not to jump into conclusions but instead ask before jumping into conclusions. Being stranded on an island sort of gave me a glimpse of how a third world country must look like.

(458)

0 comments:

Post a Comment